Monday, September 19, 2011

Words Often Used and Abused: Friend

If you really wanted to, you could take this post as a brief follow-up to Nia's Reality of Friendship.


"Today, the word 'friend' gets tossed around way too often. Society now has made the idea or concept of friendship not as big of a deal." -Nia Langley

Yeah. I said that in the 'Nia's Reality of Friendship' post, and I still think it's true. I mean, I cannot tell you how many times I've heard the word friend...being abused! At this point, someone you haven't even met...someone you've never talked to...someone you saw yesterday can now be called your friend. The crazy part is, most people don't think that's crazy!

Except for me.

I just do not understand why people are so quick to bestow such a noble title on someone else.

There has been many a time where I've met someone and two days didn't go by before he or she called me "friend" or "best friend"...That's moving too fast! What happened to the 'Getting to know you' part?! Seriously.

Oh, by the way, Facebook clearly doesn't help with this issue either. You don't see something that says "acquaintances", "people I network with", or anything of the sort. It's just 'Friends'. WRONG!

People don't even bloody know each other anymore. These "friends" can't even hold a conversation with each other, yet they insist on naming the relationship a friendship.

If you know me, you know my circle of friends is rather tight right now. You also know that I am very slow to call someone 'friend'. I mean EXTREMELY slow...practically plodding, if you will. But, as I've said before, I'm not anti-friendship. I simply think people take the whole idea of friendship too lightly. I want REAL friends! Let's build some trust! Let's build a bond! Let's build the bloody friendship instead of holding hands, jumping in, and hoping everything works out.

I think that's sick. The term is so watered down now. It means nothing.

That's all I really have to say. This was kind of all over the place. Sorry, but I hope this post was somewhat insightful nonetheless.

What do you think about the word friend? Is it abused, or am I overreacting?











Photo citation: http://www.daily-quotes.net/life-quotes/friend-quotes

No comments:

Post a Comment