Thursday, May 26, 2011

So long. Farewell. Auf Wiedersehen. Goodbye.


Most of you may know that The Oprah Winfrey Show came to an end yesterday. Some of you may think I'm the lamest person for this, but I was tearing up in the beginning. Oprah has been a part of my life for a long time, and I've learned many things from her.

I mean I listen to Oprah and Friends on SiriusXM Radio, my mom has a sweatshirt from going to one of her shows, almost all of The Oprah Magazines, DVDs, and so on, so when I heard that the 25th season would be her last, I was devastated.

I was somewhat relieved that she would have the Oprah Winfrey Network, but one of my goals was to be featured on The Oprah Winfrey Show. Ha. That's a bust. Dream killed.

But I'm not mad at her for leaving. She has every right to, I suppose. I do love hearing "Live your best life" or when she's quoting Dr. Maya Angelou's phrase "When you know better, you do better". I don't agree with everything she's said, but there are so many sayings, phrases, and insights that I've learned from her. She's shown me so many things, people, good, and bad...you get the picture.

Some of my favorite quotes from yesterday's monologue are...

"Don't wait for someone else to complete you. 'Jerry Maguire' was just a movie."

"Nobody but you is responsible for your life. You are responsible for your life. What is your life? What is all life? What is every flower, every rock, every tree? Energy. And you're responsible for the energy you create for yourself, and you're responsible for the energy that you bring to others."

I liked when she said that everyone has a platform.

"Mine is a stage in a studio. Yours is wherever you are, with your own reach."

I also LOVED how she gave God the glory for her success.

"People ask me how I made it? I say a great staff...and JESUS! Nothing but the hand of God made this possible for me, and when I say God, I mean the Alpha & the Omega. The one and only G-O-D"

"We have hooted and hollered together, had our a-ha moments, we ugly-cried together and we did our gratitude journals. So I thank you all for your support and your trust in me. I thank you for sharing this yellow brick road of blessings. ...I thank you for being as much of a sweet inspiration for me as I've tried to be for you. I won't say goodbye. I'll just say, until we meet again. To God be the glory."


At that moment, when she turned away, (again, you're gonna think I'm lame) I was straight up bawling. Oh my days. And I do not cry, so that was really something. Shoot.

If you don't care for Oprah, you can just ignore this post. Aha sorry for saying that near the end, but anyway, I emailed her today. It would be beyond awesome if I got something back from her, but I know my email is one among millions.

That's all I really wanted to say. A quick reflection and 'thank you' to Miss Oprah Winfrey.












Photo citation: oprah.com

No comments:

Post a Comment