Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Taylor Michaels Scholarship Program 2011

Hello, everyone! I'm super busy this week! It's insane. Marcus and I move into my dorm tomorrow.

Anyway, here's the Life post that I promised you.

Two weeks ago, from July 27th to July 31st, I flew out to Los Angeles for a leadership conference. This wasn't just any leadership conference. But before I tell you that story, I have to tell you this story.

Early this year, I applied for the Taylor Michaels Scholarship from the Magic Johnson Foundation. Thankfully, I got it, and one part of the scholarship is going to the foundation's Leadership Conference every summer.


The conference was SO AMAZING! We stayed at Loyola Marymount University, and it was so inspiring to meet different scholars who had incredible stories. I really admire the foundation for giving this opportunity to me and so many others.

Having a mentor and being in different sessions with the other scholars, alumni, and Mr. Johnson really helped me learn a lot of stuff to prepare for college.

There was some fun involved...like ice skating, team building exercises, going to a Los Angeles Times interview of Magic Johnson, dinners, dancing, and a brunch, but what I liked the most was when Mr. Johnson addressed us.

Only one slide was on the PowerPoint, and that was all we needed. That one slide was the outline of many important lessons needed in order to succeed in college.

"How to win...
-Time management
-Follow through
-Team player
-Passion
-Preparation
-Focus
-Discipline"

I'll say it again. That conference really helped me get better prepared for college...for the workplace...for life. I made many new friends, and I can't wait to go again next summer.

I wish I had the time to go into further detail, but, as I said, I'm terribly busy. If you have any questions for me about it, please feel free to email me at nialangleyspeaks@gmail.com

Also, if you can, support the Magic Johnson Foundation HERE.


Oh, PLEASE DON'T STEAL THIS PHOTOGRAPH. I would be extremely upset if you did. Legal action will take place, okay? I'm trusting you. =)

Suit: Sharagano
Undershirt: H&M
Shoes: INC International Concepts

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment